Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Random act of Kindness #1

Act of kindness #1 (Friends, not anonymous)

I am a transfer student from DMACC (Des Moines Area Community College) and regardless of the fact that I no longer attend classes there. I still have strong bonds with friends that I made at DMACC. I also use to belong to small and new club that DMACC organized, The Ecology Club, for two years. I had a great time getting involving with environmental activities, such as invasion species removal, park clean ups, and prairie planting. However, my time at DMACC was over and now I am a student at Drake University. But even though, I am attending at Drake University; I feel like I’ve just been uprooted and place in a bigger and harder environment and I am struggling to plant my roots. At any case, I do often go back to DMACC just to see my friends that I made there.

One day, I attended a meeting for the Ecology Club; even though I was forced or obligated to attend the meeting. And I felt like I never really left DMACC for good. During the meeting, they were talking about having a fund riser selling food during DMACC’s activity fair. The two advisers asked everyone in the meeting if they were willing to help out, however they did not ask me. At that point, I thought that they weren’t obligated to tell me to do anything, since I no longer attended DMACC and I understood that.

However, everything changed, when I attended the activity fair at DMACC to see how well the Ecology Club was doing. I went up to the booth that the Ecology Club, only to find that the two advisers were the only ones at the booth. I asked them, “Is there anyone else working today?” and one of the adviser smiled and said, “Yeah, you.” At that point, I giggled and decided to help out. Minutes later, two of my DMACC friends help too. And even though, I wasn’t asked to help with the fund riser nor had any right to participated in DMACC activities, I still helped rises money for the Ecology Club for four hours. At the end of the fair, the club made a small profit from the fund riser with a lot of help from me. The two advisers and my two friend really appreciated the time I spend to help them, even though; they knew I was busy studying for my major at Drake.

No comments: